White golf shoes are the hardest footwear to clean. They can accumulate mud, grass stains, and other stubborn dirt too hard to clean when neglected for a long time.
But knowing how to clean white golf shoes makes it an easy task, even for busy golfers.
Cleaning white golf shoes is usually done in four steps. This article discusses these steps and other actions you may take to successfully clean white golf shoes without damaging them. Read on!
How To Clean Golf Shoes?
Step 1: Cleaning the Outer Part of the Shoes
You can clean the outside of the golf shoes with warm soapy water. The water and soap mixture is the safest way to clean any shoe material. It is a simple process, but you should take the utmost care in keeping your shoes tidy and undamaged.
You can use a cloth, a sponge, or a soft bristle toothbrush. Scrub the outside of the shoe gently (starting on the outsole) until clean. Then, wipe the excess water, and let them air dry for about two hours.
Step 2: Cleaning the Rubber Component
The rubber part of the shoes is also safe to clean with soap and water. You can use a toothbrush to scrub the dirt and debris with soapy water. If the debris or residue buildup is too hard for a toothbrush, use a sharper but non-metal medium, like a golf tee.
Step 3: Cleaning the Spikes
The spikes are sometimes metal or plastic cleats that maximize traction. Grime and dirt accumulate on the spikes most of the time.
In cleaning the spikes, you can brush them using soap and water. If the spikes are removable, you can take them out and hand-clean them using a toothbrush with soapy water.
Step 4: Put on Shoe Polish
Once the shoes are cleaned and dried, apply shoe polish. If you have a leather shoe, we recommend using the Red Moose Premium Boot and Shoe Cream Polish). It is one of the golf shoe cleaning kits popular with golfers.
You can apply this shoe cream using a brush, a cloth, a rag, or a finger. This shoe polish lets your shoes look new and shiny. But ensure that the shoes are dirt- and stain-free before applying shoe polish.
Cleaning White Golf Shoes Using A Shoe Cleaner
One of the easiest ways to clean white golf shoes is by using a commercially available shoe cleaner. You can find different types of this cleaner online or in nearby stores.
The shoe cleaner is compatible with leather, fabric, or suede shoes. Pick the appropriate one for your shoe material.
What you should do is remove the shoelaces and put them aside. Then, read the cleaning instructions on the cleaner you purchased and follow them carefully.
One Way of Cleaning Leather White Golf Shoes
One of the best ways of cleaning white leather golf shoes is by using a clean cloth, water, Magic Eraser; and leather oil or leather conditioner.
Mild stains on leather shoes are cleanable using just moistened cloth. Wipe the stain with a damp cloth carefully until they disappear. But for heavy blemishes, use a Magic Eraser.
Damp the Magic Eraser with water and rub the leather surface thoroughly until the dirt is removed. Once the white shoes are clean, apply a leather conditioner or oil using a clean piece of cloth.
How Do You Clean White Mesh Golf Shoes?
Hand-Washing Mesh Shoes
- Step 1: Remove the shoe laces and wash them with soap and water separately. Soak the shoes in the sink or a bucket with liquid detergent and warm water.
- Step 2: Scrub the mesh with a soft cloth or soft-bristled brush until the residue and dirt are removed.
- Step 3: Once the shoes are clean, dab the mesh with a cloth to remove the soap residue.
Machine-Washing Mesh Shoes
- Step 1: Machine-washing white mesh shoes is better if the stains persist. Get a washing bag and put the mesh golf shoes with the removed laces inside them.
- Step 2: Place the washing bag with the shoes and laces in the washing machine with a scoop of powder detergent or liquid soap.
- Step 3: Wash them in a delicate or gentle cycle for 15 minutes. Once cleaned, dab the shoes with a clean cloth or a clean newspaper. Let the shoes, soles, and laces air-dry for about an hour.
Cleaning FootJoy HyperFlex Shoes for Men
- Step 1: Remove the shoe laces. Ensure the shoe surfaces are dry.
- Step 2: Using a brush with compact bristles: scrub off the dirt and grime on the shoe surface. Wipe the remaining debris with a clean cloth.
- Step 3: Prepare a bowl with water and add a tablespoon of cleaning solution. Dip a soft-bristle brush into the solution and scrub it mildly into the shoe surface.
- Step 4: Ensure the dirt and stains are removed: Once clean, wipe the excess water with a cloth or a towel. Then, detach the shoes’ Fit-Bed insoles and the laces. Soak them in the bowl with a cleaning solution for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 5: After 15 minutes, take the laces off the cleaning solution, and squeeze the excess water. Let the shoes and the laces air-dry.
Cleaning Women emPOWER Golf Shoes
Cleaning the women’s emPOWER shoe is similar to the FJ HyperFlex for men. You can follow the steps above (in that order) when cleaning and drying emPOWER golf shoes.
Ways to Clean White Canvas Golf Shoes
1. A small bowl
2. Old newspaper
3. White vinegar (two tablespoons)
4. Baking soda (one tablespoon)
5. Clean cloth or a rag
6. A soft brush and a firm-bristled brush.
Here’s how to do it:
Clean the shoes with a firm-bristled brush on top of an old newspaper to collect the debris. Once cleaned, get your soft-bristled brush and dip it in a small bowl with vinegar and baking soda solution.
Apply the solution to the shoes with a rag. Let the paste dry. Once dry, brush the shoes gently with a soft brush until clean. Wipe off the excess water with a clean cloth.
How to Clean Golf Shoes In A Washing Machine?
Before putting the shoes in the machine, scrub the stains with a toothbrush with liquid soap. Put the shoe laces and golf shoes in a mesh washing bag.
Set the machine to a gentle wash. When done, let the shoes and laces dry away from sunlight.
Keeping White Golf Shoes Clean
Keeping white golf shoes clean is challenging, especially if you play regularly. One of the easiest ways is to waterproof your white shoes. Check out the RepelWell Shoe & Boot Stain & Water Repellent. This spray coats your shoes as it fills the pores in fabric and repels water.
Some golf courses may have a golf shoe cleaner machine keeping your shoes clean every round. But know how to clean your shoes, especially at home.
Cleaning White Golf Shoes (Useful Tips)
1. Clean frequently
Cleaning your shoes frequently after every use minimizes the accumulation of dirt, mud, and other soot.
2. Use soap and water
Soap and water are the safest mixtures for any shoe type. If you do not have a shoe cleaner available at home, use soap and water with a brush or a sponge.
3. Store in a dry location
Store your shoes in a dry place with ambient temperature. A room too cold or too hot makes the shoe material brittle.
4. Check your spikes after every round
Check the spikes regularly for wear and tear. Replace them with new ones once deformed.
5. Have a backup pair for muddy rounds
It is rare for golfers to have a single pair of shoes. So, have a reserve pair in case you need them.
Maintaining Golf Shoe Tips
Try to have a shoe bag on your golf bag. The shoe bag protects your golf shoes between a single round and during transport.
2. Pre-Round Shoe Care
A shoehorn protects the heels of your shoes during storage. You can do things to protect your shoes even before you wear them in an actual game.
3. Post-Round Care
Try to clean your shoes as soon as possible after a game to avoid dirt penetrating the surface.
4. Use Shoe Trees
You can use shoe trees to keep shoes dry every round or during storage.
5. Remove Shoe Laces When Cleaning
Yes, that’s right! Never clean your shoes with the laces still on.
The spikes or cleats of a golf shoe may become loose: check them out frequently.
Read more: Best Golf Shoes under $100
One of the quickest ways of getting off grass stains on shoes is by dabbing the surface with water mixed with vinegar.
Air-drying away from sunlight is the best way of drying your shoes.
Clean the outsoles and cleats of the shoes with a soft cloth and warm water after each game. Apply shoe polish if you have one.
The oxidation process, a natural occurrence, turns shoes yellow in the long run. Exposure to rain, heat, and other natural elements make this process possible.
Knowing how to clean white golf shoes keeps you more knowledgeable about maintaining and caring for them. Clean golf shoes, as we have experienced, provide more self-esteem and enhance confidence in every game.